Friday, April 4, 2008

Bold me, baby! (and italic too)

Ever get tired of having to highlight text, go the Format menu and check off Bold or Italic for the text?
I do. I often use other people's computers. That means I never know what's hidden in there waiting for me. If I ACCIDENTALLY (like the Caps Lock?) hit a couple of keys, I might get all sorts of AutoCorrect things.
Using the Format menu is a safe bet, but it often means losing my train of thought for a while.
There are other ways to do it, of course.

Most experienced Word or Open Office Writer users know about the Ctrl-b shortcut to make text bold. (Or Ctrl-i for Italics.)That shortcut works with a lot of other software too - so long as someone hasn't set Ctrl-b to something else.

If you're using MSWord, there's a neat little trick that can save time and concentration.
Wouldn't it be great if you could get bold or italics styles without having to hit Ctrl keys or look to menus? You can. Type *this will be bold* into a Word document, and see what happens.

If it doesn't turn up bold, look at the Tools-->Autocorrect options for the "Autocorrect as you type" tab, and check the box for "*Bold* and _Italic_ with real formatting".
Now try it. Type "this will appear bold* into a document.
As soon as you type the last asterisk (*), the text will appear bold!
OpenOffice.Image from Wikipedia
Voila!
So long as your work doesn't involve typing a lot of text with asterisks or underscores, it's a very handy little trick. Enjoy!

No comments: